New Marrow Uno: Remission New Marrow Uno: Remission New Marrow Uno: Remission New Marrow Uno: Remission

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Remission

Here I sit with my tail between my legs 'cuz I've been bad about keeping this blog up-to-date. Part of my excuse is that I've come to learn that quite a large number of people view this blog, which can be intimidating. Especially when you know many are educators. I try to write good, or is it well? Probably the more accurate excuse is that I let life get in the way. There is never a perfect time, so ya just gotta buckle down and gett'er done! (Right, MB?!)

Any way, we went to the Cleveland Clinic a couple weeks ago. The oncologist there said that Mic is in remission. Wow...was that music to our ears! However, statistics say that he has a 60% chance of it coming back within the first year. Each year after it goes down about 10%. By the fifth year, he has a 5% chance of the leukemia returning. This is why we need his sister and brother to get tested to see if they are a match for bone marrow. It's a precaution so that if he needs a bone marrow transplant, it will be on record. We were taught that a sibling, same mom and dad, is your best chance for a match. Please pray that it won't come to this.

Many of you have told me that you keep Mic and our family in your prayers. I want you to hear me say again, your prayers are being answered! We have so much peace about the situation. Peace is a wonderful gift from God, so thank you again!

We head out to Disney soon. Like many, we are battling sniffles, coughs and sore throats. My biggest concern is that we are healthy enough to enjoy our trip. We wouldn't be going if it wasn't for the kindness of the Woodridge H.S. staff and students. They raised the money through a dance and talent show to send us. Thank you again for your friendship, love and support. You will always have a special place in the heart of the Becerra family. I will make every effort to post pictures from the trip.

My dear friend, Bridgitte, is still in ICU battling infections. Please pray that she continues to fight and has a complete recovery.

While I have your attention, I have recently become involved with a Youth for Christ organization called, The Garage. I'm excited about the ministry because it reaches out to our local troubled teens. If you would like to help, I'm hosting a FUN-raiser. Please contact me and check out the link for more information. www.yfcwadsworth.com

4 Comments. Click here to read or leave a comment.:

Tim said...

That is the best news I've heard in a long time. REMISSION ROCKS!!!


The people who remained victorious were less like conquerors than conquered. ~ St. Augustine

The Noe Family said...

Congratulations...We are thrilled to hear you are in remission, Mic. You will all love Disney...It truly is a magical place! We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers!
Mike, Terri & girls

Anonymous said...

So glad to read this! Hooray, hooray! We will continue to keep Mick and your family in our prayers! And good for you with the Garage too, Wendy! Be well, all of you! Enjoy Disney!
Love, Natalie & Zig Novak

Anonymous said...

That is great to hear! Everybody (especially the graduates) read this blog to see how he's doing! You rock Mr. B!!!!

-Matthew Orr